Wednesday, March 07, 2012

1000 BC

An ancient Ayurvedic text Charaka Samhita Sutra on internal medicine written 1000BC wrote that:




The  medical student must exhibit:
  • a calm and generous disposition, (check)
  • besides being virtuous and of noble mind (kinda)
  • he must be tolerant of others and exhibit patience and preseverence in his academic pursuits. (losing my patience and bleached perseverance as days go by)
  • although of sharp intellect, he must be both rational and modest (I need to ask others about this)
  • he should possess a pleasant appearance and good looks (well, I am kinda adequate *try to prove the fourth point*)
  • with a well-proportioned body which should be free from physical defects or any obvious diseases (err... not quite there yet but Alhamdullillah I am healthy)
  • above all, he must be compassionate (hmmm, am I? Do you think I am?)
  • he must exhibit deep interest in the art and science of healing (my interest is like a tide)
  • he must use his intelligence to discuss facts about the disease and to understand the clinical significance of symptoms (ok, sorta)
  • such knowledge he must use not only for his own intellectual enrichment, but also for acquiring requisite skills in practical management (I will)
  • he must be humble and loyal to his teachers and instructors (mmm...maybe I should put extra effort in that, by being punctual, maybe)
  • he should be free from addictions, greed, arrogance and intolerance (addictions? Oh no!!! deal breaker. I think I am not so greed, slightly arrogant *damn you* but tolerating people adequately) 



No comments:

nuff.nang

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...