Saturday, May 21, 2011

Album Review: Bon Iver - Bon Iver (2011)


I've been waiting for this and it finally here. Bon Iver to release thier eponymous second album Bon Iver on June 21st, almost four years since For Emma, Forever Ago. I got my digital copy earlier than the release date, being crazy fanatic I am. I haven't listened to it fully yet. You know the drill, my trusted method of 3 times the charm. However, the highlight of this album is Calgary. And I think it is freaking good. Here's the track list.

  1. Perth
  2. Minnesota, WI
  3. Holocene
  4. Towers
  5. Michicant
  6. Hinnom, TX
  7. Wash
  8. Calgary
  9. Lisbon, OH
  10. Beth/Rest
As you can see, these tracks title were named after places. Each of it has a different instruments influence to it.

UPDATED 1

Here's my insight. This album marks a new phase for Bon Iver. Just when we were contented previously by only Justin Vernon layered falsetto and acoustic guitar type of simplicity, this album actually overwhelmed with instruments. So yeah, please expect inconceivable lyrics beneath all those genius arrangements of music. Justin himself claimed that he purposely concentrate on his music rather than vocal. So it is good to transition from Eddie Van Halen to these piece of Bon Iver, let the sound do the talking.

Here's my favorite picks.

Perth - a good one for starter track. Introed by wailing electric guitar, and marching drum beat. As was told in Rolling Stone Magazine "Civil War-sounding heavy metal song"

Minnesota, WI - started with bass finger-picked guitars (instead of using plectrum pick), double bass drums and distorted bass saxophone.

Calgary - Should I say more?

Beth/Rest - a good closing song, it has a vibe of Alphaville's 'Forever Young', what with synthesizer, electric guitar and all. It's like an 80's Europop reminiscence all over again.

The only thing I am not happy about this album is how hard it is actually to grab and comprehend words he sang. It just like listening to random Immediate Music choir chanting unfathomable lyrics beneath those multi-layered falsetto of his.

Otherwise, this album is to die for. Totally.


VERDICT: 4 1/s stars (only if you are an extreme fan like me)


1 comment:

Jimmy said...

Nice review man. There's no way Vernon could have recreated 'For Emma' but after hearing Calgary I feared a change of tone.
Nevertheless, a few album plays in and he's undeniably created something that will define the next few months for me.

nuff.nang

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...